November 9, 2010

Babysitting Harry Teeth

Don't worry, not "hairy" teeth.

I've had some trouble writing a new post.  I haven't been on any other 1200 stair hikes. I haven't gone to any other football games. I haven't had any recent trips to the Farmer's Market or COSTCO..(I know, I am terribly upset about this as well.) I have been babysitting a lot. I have been re-reading the 7th Harry Potter. I have (finally) gone to the dentist. These three things are totally blog worthy. Who doesn't want to read about children, Harry, and teeth?

If you answered "I don't" to the above question, then I suggest you stop reading here.

_____________________________________

During my absence from school, I have been babysitting for several different families. I have always loved working and playing with kids, one reason I was drawn to studying Education in college. Yes, there are times when children make you want to pull your hair out (I was never that way as a child, of course). However, there are also times when other adults make you want to pull your hair out (I have never been that adult, of course). Babysitting has kind of helped keep me somewhat sane for the past several months. Every new day babysitting is like a birthday. No, not because I get lots of presents, but because the day is FILLED with surprises. You never know what the kids are going to do or say next...and I LOVE it. One girl I babysit loves talking about Ann, who also babysits her sometime. Now, some of you may not know that Ann eats Goldfish crackers like they are going out of style. She carries a big box of Goldfish around with her pretty much everywhere and nom-noms all day. As the girl and I were discussing what she was going to be for Halloween she exclaimed, "I can be Ann!" I asked her how she was going to dress up as Ann. She said, "Emmmmmily, it is easy because all I would need is a box of Goldfish to carry around." And you know what, that wasn't a half bad idea. Easy costume--she got that right.  If y'all need any ideas for next Halloween, write that one down. Next time you see Ann, be sure to ask for some Goldfish. I'm sure she'll share. The next question I asked the girl was what she wanted for dinner. "I'm not going to tellllllll you," was her response. See, SURPRISE, I bet you wouldn't expect to hear that answer from the person for whom you were making dinner. Like I said, I really do love it. Life is way more fun that way :)

I can't really say much about Harry Potter other than, OHMYGOODNESS9MOREDAYSUNTILTHEMOVIECOMESOUT. I think one reason I am so attached to Harry Potter, other than its obvious greatness, is because my generation grew up with the series. When Harry was 11, we were 11. When Harry was turning 15, we were turning 15. When Harry was graduating Hogwarts, we were graduating high school. I had forgotten how intense the last book is. Needless to say, my last year of high school was not that intense, but still...me and Harry, bffs for sure.

Still reading? Want to hear about my dentist trip? Ok, good. When I was born, two very special things happened. Actually, many special things happened, like the world became peaceful and happy, but these specific two things were different. 1) A cow licked my head and gave me the worst cowlick known to mankind. 2) Some kind of fairy sprinkled an anti-cavity shield on my teeth. Hate #1, love and am perplexed by #2. Between being at college, and this and that, and blah blah more excuses it is has been awhile since I've had my teeth cleaned. "Awhile" means lots of chocolates and candies and sugars. I was sure I would be scheduling an appointment (or 2 or 3...) to get my new cavities fixed. I was sure, so so sure. I talked about it a lot, ask anyone in my family. In fact, I just asked Ann and she agrees so, obviously I am not writing lies in this wonderful post. Before my exam, I received a text from mom: "Let me know if the dentist 1- tells you you have pretty teeth and 2-tells you you have a bajillion cavities." Now, I won't go into detail about her number 1 because I could go on and on about other issues I have with my teeth, but I know that post would REALLY bore you, whereas this post only kind of bores you. During my exam, I was told 1- I had very pretty teeth and 2-I had zero cavities. I couldn't help but laugh at both of these things. No cavities? Really? Are you sure? So, that is when I decided that Ann got my cavities in addition to her own, and the fairy gave me the anti-cavity shield at birth.  I know what you're thinking, what a nice fairy. I'm thinking the same thing. Love her.

Well, there's my week. Good times all around. I promise to do something exciting this coming week so you all can once again live vicariously through my super exciting life. Let's see what's on the agenda... a trip to Ann's school to see her dressed up as Marc Antony. Now, there's something worth waiting to read ;)

Oh  wow look, it's my teeth!

1 comment:

MaryCaroline said...

Another funny thing a kid (age 2) has said, "I have no naps left in my heart." What?! Nice try, Emily!